14 Different Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Loss – Hair loss is normal. Experts say that losing 50-100 hair strands every day is a part of normal hair growth and loss cycle, but exceeding the limit is a matter of concern. In this article, I will tell you how you can use coconut oil for hair loss. Seeing clump of hairs coming out every time you comb your hair or wash them, is definitely a scary experience. And that’s when we get desperate to stop the hair loss, and start looking for ways to bring the situation under control. Furthermore, we don’t even hesitate to opt for expensive cosmetic treatments, but often ignore the natural remedies. Find out how to use coconut oil for hair loss below.
Before we get started, lets first check out why coconut oil is beneficial for hair and how exactly it is going to help us with hair loss.
Why Coconut Oil is Good for Hair
1. Coconut oil is regarded as the best natural source of medium chain fatty acids. Medium chain fatty acids are a special type of fatty acids which are endowed with anti bacterial and anti microbial properties and they are also very nourishing for our body. One such fatty acid is lauric acid which is present abundantly in coconut oil. Lauric acid is very beneficial for promoting hormonal and cellular health. It is also anti bacterial in nature, which helps to maintain a healthy scalp and healthy hair follicles.
2. Coconut oil can penetrate hair follicles in such a way that no other oils are able to do. This way, it can nourish the scalp and hair follicles much better than other oils would do.
3. Sometimes, due to frequent shampooing or too much exposure to humidity, our hair cuticles tend to attract excess moisture, which leads to dry and frizzy hair. Coconut oil can prevent such situations, as it has the ability to seal the required amount of moisture in the hair shaft and also avoid moisture build up.
4. Coconut oil is rich in anti oxidants and other nutrients, such as Vitamin E, Vitamin K and iron. Also it offers anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti microbial benefits. All these result in healthy and nourished hair. Regular application of coconut oil is very beneficial to drive away dandruff, get rid of itchy scalp, treat dry and brittle hair and also achieve thick, healthy and shiny locks.
5. The secret to beautiful hair is to prevent moisture loss, and coconut oil does exactly so. Its oily nature provides a safety barrier on hair and doesn’t allow hair to lose moisture and become dehydrated.
6. Coconut oil is a natural coolant. Massaging your scalp with coconut oil, specially during summer, is a great way to soothe any sores or irritation associated with heat. Furthermore, coconut oil massage also improves blood circulation in the scalp, ensuring that each of the hair follicles get proper nourishment. This in turn, results in healthy hair growth.
7. Keep a bottle of coconut oil handy, and you will never feel the need to buy any hair conditioner. Coconut oil locks the moisture in the hair strands, prevent excess moisture build up, provides nourishment and helps you achieve your ‘hair goal’.
How Coconut Oil Combats Hair Loss
- Coconut oil has natural anti oxidant properties. It is also enriched with the benefits of Vitamin E, Vitamin K and iron. All these nutrients work together to nourish the hair roots and make them stronger.
- Coconut oil has better penetration ability than the rest of the oils. When massaged on the scalp, it penetrates deeply, then nourish the hair follicles and strengthen them.
- It also boosts blood circulation in the scalp, which strengthens the hair roots and promotes healthy hair growth.
- The anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties of coconut oil play a huge role in keeping the scalp healthy and free from dandruff and other fungal infections, which may otherwise can cause severe hair loss.
- Coconut oil contains Lauric acid which is very beneficial for our hair. It binds to the hair proteins and thus, prevent protein loss. Since our hair is primarily made of protein (keratin), therefore, protein loss can lead to serious hair damages including hair loss.
How to use Coconut Oil for Hair Loss
I hope, you have already got a clear idea about how coconut oil is beneficial to fight off hair loss. Now, let me share different ways to use coconut oil for hair loss below.
1. Coconut Oil Massage
This is the simplest way to use coconut oil for hair loss. When massaged on the scalp, coconut oil also penetrates deeply, removes the impurities that block the hair follicles and thus, ensures better blood circulation throughout the scalp.
- Coconut oil
How to do
Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil in a bowl and then heat it up slightly. Apply the warm coconut oil all over the scalp and massage for 5-6 minutes. Next, wrap a towel around your head and wait for an hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo. Repeat the entire process at least thrice in a week.
2. Coconut Oil and Castor Oil
Castor oil contains high amount of ricinoleic acid, which is highly beneficial for healthy hair and healthy scalp. It maintains the ideal pH balance of the scalp, reduces the chances of , treats split ends and promotes healthy hair growth. Castor oil boosts blood circulation which in turn, provide the hair follicles with optimum nourishment and also ensures better hair growth. Furthermore, castor oil has anti oxidant benefits that protect the hair from free radical damages.
- Coconut Oil
- Castor oil
- Shower cap
How to use castor oil and coconut oil for hair loss
In a bowl, mix equal amounts of castor oil and coconut oil. The quantity depends on the length of your hair. Next, wash your hair and then apply this oil blend on damp scalp and hair. Massage for 5-6 minutes and wear a shower cap. Keep it on for couple of hours and then, remove it all with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
3. Prevent Sun Damage with Coconut Oil
We leave no stone un-turned when it comes to protect our skin from sun damage. But do we do the same for our hair too? No. I don’t know if there is any such thing as ‘hair sunscreen’ is available or not, but coconut oil can actually help you to protect your hair from the UV damages. Sun damage can make our hair dry and brittle, which becomes more prone to breakage. Check out how coconut oil can prevent that below.
- Coconut oil
- Spray Bottle
How to use coconut oil for hair loss due to sun damage
Fill a spray bottle with distilled water and add a tbsp of coconut oil there. Close the lid of the bottle and shake it well. Spritz it over your hair and then comb out the hair so that the coconut oil and water mixture spreads evenly on the hair strands. The oil will form a protective layer on the hair strands and prevent .
4. Coconut Oil and Camphor
This is one of the best way to use coconut oil for hair loss. Camphor has stimulant properties, it stimulates the hair follicles and boosts hair growth. Also, camphor has anti bacterial properties, which gives relief from scalp infection that might be causing hair fall problem.
- Camphor blocks or camphor oil
- Coconut oil
How to use camphor and coconut oil for hair loss
- Heat half a cup of coconut oil in a sauce pan. Crush couple of camphor blocks and add the powdered camphor to the oil. Stir until the powder gets dissolved fully. Remove the oil from the heat and wait till it cools down a bit. Apply this mixture on the scalp and hair from root to tip. Massage well and then, keep it on for another 10-15 minutes. Wash off with a shampoo and repeat twice in a week.
5. Coconut Oil and Honey
This hair mask works great for dry hair. If you have dry hair and you do not moisturize it properly, it can lead to hair fall or hair loss due to breakage. This is a great deep conditioning hair mask that moisturize hair beautifully. Packed with vitamins and minerals, honey acts as a natural deep conditioner for hair. It has anti bacterial and anti oxidant properties that keep the scalp healthy and boost hair growth. Regular application of honey makes hair shiny and bouncy. Honey is a natural humectant which helps in sealing moisture into the hair shafts.
- Coconut oil
How to use honey and coconut oil for hair loss
Add 2-3 tbsp coconut oil to 2 tsp honey and mix well. Apply the thick concoction all over the scalp and hair using your fingertips, starting from root to tips. Once the application is done, wrap a warm towel around your head. This will open up the hair follicles and allow the goodness to penetrate through the hair follicles. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Use it once or twice in a week.
6. Avocado and Coconut Oil
Lack of protein is one of the major reasons behind hair loss, since our hair is primarily made of protein. We already know that lauric acid in coconut oil also helps in preventing protein loss. When mixed with , it creates a powerful hair mask that replenishes the lost protein and restore hair health.
- Coconut Oil
How to use avocado and coconut oil for hair loss
Take a ripe avocado, peel and remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh and then mash it with the back of a fork. Add 1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil to mashed avocado and mix well. Apply this mixture on the hair and scalp. Massage for few minutes and then leave it on for an hour. Wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
7. Coconut Oil and Banana
Next comes this one on our list of various ways to use coconut oil for hair loss. Banana has anti oxidant benefits and along with that it contains potassium, vitamins and natural oils. All these nutrients are known to work wonders for our hair and treat hair loss. Banana hair mask is also very effective in reducing dandruff, moisturizing the hair strands and making our hair soft and shiny. Honey acts as a natural deep conditioner for hair. It contains vitamins, minerals and has anti bacterial and anti oxidant properties that keep the scalp healthy and boost hair growth. Regular application of honey makes hair shiny and bouncy. Honey is a natural humectant which helps in sealing moisture into the hair shafts.
- Coconut oil
How to use banana and coconut oil for hair loss
Take 2 ripe bananas and mash them in a bowl. To this add one tbsp each of coconut oil and honey. Mix all the ingredients together. Apply this all over the scalp and hair, massage and then also cover your entire head with a shower cap. Keep it on for 10-15 minutes and wash off with luke warm water and a mild shampoo.
8. Egg and Coconut Oil
Egg comes packed with several nutrients that help us to deal with hair fall and hair loss. It contains high amount of protein, vitamins, sulfur, phosphorous, selenium, iodine, zinc, etc. Since protein is the building block of our hair, therefore protein loss can lead to hair fall. That’s why protein is essential to fight hair loss issue. Egg also contains Vitamin D, lack of which can also cause hair fall. Eggs contain good amount of B vitamins which also boost hair growth. Milk is the powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and proteins, which nourish the hair follicles and stop hair loss.
- Coconut oil
How to use egg and coconut oil for hair loss
Take 1 whole egg and whisk it in a bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil and a cup of milk to the whisked egg. Mix everything together and apply the resultant mixture all over the hair and scalp. Wear a shower cap and keep the hair mask on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and cold water.
9. Hibiscus Flower and Coconut Oil
Hibiscus has been used traditionally as one of the best home remedies for hair loss. Both hibiscus flowers and leaves can be used to treat hair fall. Hibiscus flowers contain vitamin C, phosphorous and riboflavin which boost hair re-growth. Infact, hibiscus is also very effective to fight off dandruff and hair fall due to dandruff.
- Hibiscus Flower
- Coconut Oil
How to use hibiscus flower and coconut oil for hair loss
Separate the petals from a handful of fresh hibiscus flowers. Furthermore, wash them thoroughly and crush the petals and add them to some coconut oil. Mix together to form a paste. Massage it on to the scalp and hair and then allow it to sit for couple of hours. Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice a week.
10. Onion Juice and Coconut Oil
Onion juice is known to stop hair loss effectively. It contains high amount of sulfur as well as vitamin B1, B6, C, Copper, dietary fiber, biotin, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and folate. All these nutrients work together to stop hair loss and induce healthy hair growth. Onion juice promotes blood circulation to the scalp and thus strengthens hair follicles. The anti bacterial benefits of onion juice kill the bacteria that might otherwise cause hair loss. Furthermore, onion juice also prevents hair fall by treating dandruff effectively. Aloe vera gel comes with Vitamin B12 and folic acid which are essential to prevent hair loss. It also contains vitamins A, C and E which strengthen the hair follicles and also lead to healthy hair growth.
- Onion Juice
- Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera Gel
How to use onion juice and coconut oil for hair loss
Add 3 tbsp onion juice and 2 tbsp aloe vera gel to 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix together. Apply the resultant mixture all over the scalp and hair, starting from root to tip. Wear a shower cap and then keep the hair mask on for 30-40 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
11. Coconut Oil and Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary is a very beneficial herb for our hair. Rosemary essential oil is very effective in treating hair loss due to dandruff. In fact, the anti oxidant benefits of rosemary help in preventing hair loss due to free radical damages. Also, it contains silica and sulfur that are essential to fight off hair fall. Furthermore, rosemary essential oil strengthens the hair follicles and boosts hair growth.
- Coconut oil
- Rosemary essential oil
How to use rosemary essential oil and coconut oil for hair loss
Add 3-4 drops of rosemary essential oil to 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix and massage the oil blend all over the hair and scalp. Allow it to sit for an hour and then use a mild shampoo to wash it all.
12. Coconut Oil and Coriander Juice
Next comes this one on our list of different ways to use coconut oil for hair loss. Coriander juice boosts hair growth as well as make the hair soft, smooth and strong. It fights hair fall, thanks to the presence of iron in it. Iron deficiency is one of the main causes of hair fall in women. Coriander juice is a rich source of iron, hence it prevents hair loss due to lack of iron. Moreover, it is a rich source of flavonoids and carotenoids, which help in maintaining healthy hair. It also contains manganese which acts as an antioxidant and protects our hair from free radical damages.
- Coriander leaves
- Coconut oil
How to use coriander juice and coconut oil for hair loss
Chop a handful of fresh coriander leaves and put them in the blender. Add some water and make a paste. Extract the juice from the coriander paste and mix it with some coconut oil. Apply the concoction on to the scalp and hair. Massage and keep it on for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
13. Coconut Oil and Fenugreek Seeds
Hair which is extremely dry and brittle is much more prone to breakage. This combination of coconut oil and fenugreek seeds creates a miraculous hair pack for extremely dry, damaged and brittle hair. Methi or fenugreek seeds boost stronger hair growth as well as dandruff, which is often a major culprit behind uncontrollable hair fall. Not only treating hair loss, but this hair pack also adds beautiful shine and softness to our hair.
- Coconut oil
- Fenugreek seeds
How to use fenugreek seeds and coconut oil for hair loss
Soak a handful of methi or fenugreek seeds in half cup of milk for an hour. Make a paste by putting them in a blender. Add 3-4 tbsp of coconut oil and a tbsp of there and mix all the ingredients nicely. Apply it on to the hair and then keep it on for an hour. Wash off with a shampoo and luke warm water.
14. Coconut Oil and Curry Leaves
We are going to conclude this list of different ways to use coconut oil for hair loss with this one. Curry leaves are loaded with a whole lot of nutrients, including calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, phosphorous, beta carotene, iron, proteins, amino acids, fibers, carbohydrates etc. Moreover, curry leaves also has anti oxidant benefits as well. All these nutrients work together to strengthen hair roots and stop hair fall.
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
How to use curry leaves and coconut oil for hair loss
Heat a pan and put 4-5 tbsp of coconut oil there. Add a handful of curry leaves there and then fry until the leaves turn black. Remove the pan from the heat, strain the oil and let it cool down. Apply it on the scalp and hair, massage for 5-6 minutes and leave it on for another hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash off.
These were our top 14 different ways to use coconut oil for hair loss. I hope you found this article helpful, stay tuned for more.